Home LATEST GHANA NEWS VIDEO: Nurses Rush Babies Out To Escape Korle Bu Maternity Fire Outbreak;...

VIDEO: Nurses Rush Babies Out To Escape Korle Bu Maternity Fire Outbreak; Hospital Explains What Happened

korle bu fire outbreak

There was a report fire outbreak at the Korle Bu Teaching hospital in the late hours of Tuesday, April 6, 2020.

The alleged fire outbreak occurred at the maternity ward of the nation’s biggest hospital.

Footages from the fire scene see health workers rushing out newly born babies to save their lives.

Commentary on the video footage has one of the health workers calling for people to come to their aid as fire service personnel were yet to arrive.

This morning the hospital has released a statement to refute the fire outbreak claims.

According to the PRO of the hospital, the switch of an air-conditioning system at the doctors’ restroom instead was emitting smoke, but the situation was quickly contained.

Fire outbreak at Korle Bu in November 2020
The last time a fire incident was recorded at the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital was on November 30, 2020.

Three patients diagnosed with COVID-19 who was on admission at the time were transferred to the University of Ghana Medical Centre after the fire outbreak at the medical ICU.

In the early hours of Monday, November 30, 2020, a fire gutted the ICU as a result of an electrical fault from a socket in the ward.

Mustapha Salifu, at the time, said, all the necessary steps were taken to evacuate all three patients who were in the ICU.

“The fire was detected early, so we were able to handle it as soon it started. The COVID-19 patients are safe and under control. There were also no casualties involved as a result of the outbreak,” he said.

Below is the statement the hospital issued on the latest fire scare:

Maternity Block of Korle Bu is not on Fire
The Maternity Block of the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital(KBTH) is not on fire as being alleged on social media.

What happened was an air-conditioner switch in one of the restrooms of the doctors started emitting smoke which was detected by staff on duty at around 9 pm yesterday.

The staff on duty quickly used fire extinguishers to put out the fire before the arrival of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS).

As a precautionary measure, some of the babies were moved to another wing of the same floor.

We wish to state no patient or staff suffered any casualties or injury. Normal operations have resumed after assessment by the Ghana National Fire Service indicated that there was no further threat of danger to either patients or staff.

We wish to commend the staff on duty for their alertness and professionalism.

Mustapha Salifu
Head of PR
Korle Bu Teaching Hospital

READ ALSO  Kasoa Murder: NMC Replies Critics Over Influx Of Spiritualists On TV

1 COMMENT

Leave a Reply