A huge blaze has engulfed parts of the Kumasi Central Market Sunday night, local media reported, dailymailgh.com reports.
Firefighters have been deployed to douse the blaze which started just before 9 p.m., when shops were closed at the area which serves as hub for cobblers, according to Kumasi-based Zuria FM.
About 30 shops were affected. Items including combustibles, leather and wooden materials, finished products running into millions of cedis were destroyed by the inferno.
Deputy Ashanti Regional Fire Commander, ACFO Henry Gyiwah said access to the scene was a major challenge.
“Accessibility is always a problem in Central Market… and the interference from the traders is not good…the 2IC said adding: “They should allow us to do our work, we are professionals”.
“We have started investigating but for now about 30 shops have been engulfed” , he added.
The incident comes just a week after four people were killed in a domestic fire at Manso-Aponapon in the Amansie South District of the Ashanti Region.
Power upsurge coupled with poor wiring systems were said to have caused the blaze, the Ghana National Fire Service said.